Monday, March 26, 2012

What’s for dinner: leftover edition


What’s for dinner: leftover edition        
   
I pride myself on creating delicious meals on a limited budget. When I plan my dinner menus I secretly play a game with myself. To win the game, I must make a meal for all four of us for under $10.  Nine times out of ten I am successful.  I only lose the game when I am feeling self-indulgent and really want to get fancy and splurge on salmon or filet mignon.  Yes, I’m a lame-o!  Doesn’t take much to get me excited!

Last week I scored some great deals at the local independent markets (10lbs. of onions for $1, 2 lbs. of jalapeños for $1, 6 boneless chicken breasts for $5 and some great inexpensive Indian spices) so I decided to use all of those goodies to try a new recipe: Tandoori Chicken.

Apparently my eyes were bigger than my tummy! I coated all 6 chicken breasts with the lovely spice rub. Not surprisingly, we had leftovers (duh!).  I packed up my chicken and went to bed wondering what I could do with the leftovers the next evening.

This morning, the light bulb above my head switched on and I decided to use the leftovers to make a tandoori chicken quesadilla with cilantro rice. 

The combination was wonderful!  I have successfully added a new menu item to my repertoire! 2 meals for under $10 – I win!

If you ever get a hankering for some spicy Indian chicken two nights in a row, give these a whirl!


Dinner 1: Tandoori chicken:

6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/2 cup chopped brown onion
2 tablespoons chopped garlic
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon chopped jalapeno pepper,
1 tablespoon paprika
11/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon garam masala
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
1/2 cup plain yogurt
1 tablespoon lemon juice

In a blender/food processor, combine the oil, onion, garlic, ginger, pepper, and process on high speed to a paste. Add the paprika, salt, cumin, coriander, garam masala, and cayenne, and process till blended. Add the yogurt and lemon juice until all ingredients are fully incorporated.

Cut long slits into the chicken (to allow marinade to absorb) and place chicken in a baking dish or bowl and pour the marinade over.  Allow at least 4 hours to fully absorb – turn chicken repeatedly.

Cook chicken on indoor grill or bbq 8-10 minutes each side.  Baste as needed. 
Alternatively – you can bake the chicken at 425 for approximately 30-35 minutes.


Dinner 2: Tandoori Chicken Quesadillas 



Tandoori chicken cut into strips (2 breasts)
6 Flour tortillas
2 cups grated cheese combo (jack and mozzarella)
1 brown onion sliced and caramelized
Cilantro/jalapeño sauce
            1/2 cup sour cream
            1 jalapeño diced
            1/2 bunch cilantro
Place cilantro and jalapeño in the food processor and blend.  Add ½ cup sour cream and blend until all ingredients are incorporated.  Add salt and pepper to taste.

Warm griddle or pan while assembling the quesadillas.

Spread each inner side of the tortillas with the cilantro mixture.  Add grated cheese, chicken and caramelized onions and top with second tortilla.  Place tortilla on griddle and warm to a golden brown.  Flip and warm on the second side.  Serve with a dollop of sour cream.  Makes 3 Quesadillas.


2 comments:

  1. okay, now this is really weird.

    i have a "to-make" list... and tandoori chicken is on it!

    love 2-in-1 meals, and this (both of them) looks delicious!!! (can't wait to try next week :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We must be on the same wave length :)
      I liked the tandoori chicken but I LOVED the quesadillas!
      Two great meals for relatively little money! I love that!

      Delete